Douglas H. Richie, Jr., D.P.M.
FACFAS, FAAPSM, FACFAOM
Douglas Richie received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Zoology from California State University, Long Beach in 1976. He received his Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine from the California College of Podiatric Medicine in 1980 and completed a post-graduate residency program in Foot and Ankle Surgery at Western Medical Center in Southern California in 1981. Douglas Richie D.P.M. is certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and Medicine and a Fellow of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine
Currently, Dr. Richie has faculty appointments at the California School of Podiatric Medicine (Oakland, CA) as well as the Podiatric Medical School at Western University (Pomona, CA). He is the Chairman of the Podiatric Medical Education Committee at the California School of Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Richie has authored over 50 original articles published in respected medical journals and medical trade magazines. He has been an invited speaker at over 100 medical symposiums throughout the United States as well as the United Kingdom, Canada, Spain and Australia. Dr. Richie’s past accomplishments include serving as a Board member and past President of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine for 7 years and also serving as Section Editor (Sports Medicine) for the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery for 10 years. Dr. Richie is a two-time winner of awards for original research given by the American Podiatric Medical Association. He is a recipient of the Richard Schuster Biomechanics Award given by the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine. He holds four U.S. Patents for inventions relating to footwear and ankle brace technologies. Dr. Richie continues full time clinical practice at two locations – Seal Beach and Los Alamitos, California. His practice focuses on sports injuries, chronic ankle deformities and reconstructive foot and ankle surgery.
California State University, Long Beach
Bachelor of Science, Zoology, 1976, Magna Cum Laude
California College of Podiatric Medicine
Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, 1980, Summa Cum Laude
Western Medical Center, Anaheim, CA
Podiatric Surgical Residency, 1981
Honors & Awards
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, California State University, Long Beach
- California State University, Long Beach, Alumni Association Award for Most Outstanding Graduate, Department of Biology, 1976
- Pi Delta Honor Society of Students in American Universities
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities
- Syntex Ingram Pharmaceutical Award for Best Paper in Podiatric Dermatology, 1980
- International Dance Exercise Association Industry Award for Research, 1985
- Pacific Hospital of Long Beach - Podiatric Educator of the Year, 1985, 1986
- City of Seal Beach - Nominee for Man of the Year, 1985
- Scholl Scientific Research Award, 1989; Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association
- Long Beach Fire Department Heroic Acts Award-2004
- Richard O. Schuster Award for Outstanding Contribution to Podiatric Biomechanics
- Presented by American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine, 2008
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Biomechanics, California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College.
- Clinical Associate Professor of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, Western University of Health Sciences
- Chairman, Podiatric Medical Education Committee, California School of Podiatric
- Medicine at Samuel Merritt College
- Editorial Board, Journal of Forensic Biomechanics
- Editor, Sports Medicine Section, Podiatry Today
- Member, National Athletic Training Association Panel for position statement: “Conservative Management and Prevention of Ankle Sprains in Athletes”
- Scientific Co-Chair, Prescription Foot Orthotics Laboratory Biomechanics Conference, San Diego 2007, Vancouver (2008), Atlanta (2009)
- Attending Staff, Podiatric Surgical Residency Programs, Memorial Medical Center, Long Beach, Los Alamitos Medical Center
- Team Podiatrist - Nike Coast Track and Field Team, California State University, Long Beach
- Board of Advisors: Mens' Fitness Magazine, Podiatry Today Magazine
- President's Advisory Council, Department of Physical Education, California State University at Long Beach.
- Past President, American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine, 2006-2007
- Section Editor, Sports Medicine, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 2002-2010
- Clinical Instructor, Podiatry Department, Los Angeles County, USC Medical Center, 1982-1990
- Associate Clinical Professor, California College of Podiatric Medicine, 1982-1990
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Physical Education, California State University at Long Beach, 1990-1993
- Director, Podiatric Residency Training Program, Pacific Hospital, Long Beach, 1984-1988
- Board of Advisors, International Dance Exercise Association, 1984-1991
- Chairman, Research Committee, International Dance Exercise Association Foundation, 1987-1990
- Member, Sporting Good Manufacturers Association - Task Force for Aerobic Footwear, 1987
- Technical Consultant, Yamaha International Sporting Goods Division, 1985-1988
- Technical Consultant, Avia Athletic Footwear, 1983-1985
- Chairman and Race Director, The Autumn Run for the American Cancer Society, 1982-1988
Certification & Professional Associations
- Diplomate, American Board of Podiatric Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and Medicine
- Fellow, American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine
- Member, American Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, California Podiatric Medical Association and Los Angeles County Podiatric Medical Association
- US Patent 5,724,753 Footwear System 3/10/1998
- US Patent 5,888,413 Shoe Last and Method of Constructing a Shoe 3/16/1999
- US Patent 5,908,719 Shoe Last and Method of Constructing a Shoe 6/8/1999
- US Patent 6,602,215 Ankle Brace with Arch Sling Support 8/5/2003
Kelso, SF, Richie DH, Cohen IR, Weed JH, and Root ML. Direction and Range of Motion of the First Ray. Journal of the American Podiatry Association, 72, 600, 1982.
Richie DH, Kelso SF, Bellucci PA. Aerobic Dance Injuries: A Retrospective Study of Instructors and Participants. The Physician and Sports Medicine, 13:2, February, 1985.
Morgan JL, Gurnick KL, Richie DH. The Clinical Significance of Using Anti-Rotation Devices in a Pediatric Population: A Preliminary Report Current Podiatric Medicine, November, 1989.
Herring KL, Richie DH. Friction Blisters and Sock Fiber Composition in Long Distance Runners. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association.
Richie DH, DeVries HA, Endo CK. Shin Muscle Activity and Sports Surfaces: An Electromyographic Study. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 83:4, April 1993.
Murray HJ, Veves A, Young MJ, Richie DH, Bolton AMJ. The Role of Experimental Socks in the Care of the High Risk Diabetic Foot: A Multi-Center Patient Evaluation Study. Diabetes Care, 16:8, August 1993.
Herring KM, Richie DH. Comparison of Cotton and Acrylic Socks Using a Generic Cushion Sole Design for Runners. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 83:9, September 1993.
Richie DH, Olson WR. Orthoses for Athletic Overuse Injuries: Comparison of Two Component Materials. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 83:9, September 1993.
Richie DH. Selecting Footwear, Personal Trainer Manual, American Council on Exercise, San Diego, 1991.
Richie DH. Functional Instability of the Ankle and the Role of Neuromuscular Control. A Comprehensive Review. Journal Foot and Ankle Surgery, 40:240-251, July/August 2001.
Richie DH. Sports Socks: The Role of Hosiery as an Essential Component of Footwear for the Active Person. American Journal of Medicine and Sports, 5:79-86, 2003.
Richie DH. Pathomechanics of the Adult Acquired Flatfoot, Foot and Ankle Quarterly, Lepow GW Ed: Vol 17: 4: 109-124, Fall, 2005.
Richie DH. Orthotics, in Core Knowledge in Orthopedics: Foot and Ankle. DiGiovanni CW, Greisgerg J (ed) Elsevier-Mosby, Phila, pp 16-38, 2007.
Richie DH. Comparison of Custom and Prefabricated Orthoses in the Initial Treatment of Proximal Plantar Fasciitis, Commentary by Douglas H. Richie Jr. DPM, FACFAS, Foot and Ankle Quarterly 18: 58-61, 2006.
Richie DH. Effects of Foot Orthoses in the Treatment of Chronic Ankle Instability. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association 97 (1): 19-30, 2007.
Richie DH. Biomechanics and Clinical Analysis of the Adult Acquired Flatfoot, Clinical Podiatric Medial Surgery 24, 617-644, 2007.
Richie DH. Ankle Foot Orthoses for the Athlete, Athletic Footwear and Orthoses in Sports Medicine. Werd M, Knight L Eds. Springer, New York, pp 119-133, 2010.
Under Review for publication in the Journal of Athletic Training: National Athletic Trainers’ Association Position Statement: Conservative Management and Prevention of Ankle Sprains in Athletes .Thomas W. Kaminski, PhD, ATC, FNATA; Jay Hertel, PhD, ATC, FNATA; Ned Amendola, MD; Carrie Docherty, PhD, ATC; Michael J. Dolan, MA, ATC; Ty Hopkins, PhD, ATC, FNATA; Eric Nussbaum, MEd, ATC; Wendy Poppy, MS, PT, ATC; Doug Richie, DPM.
Richie D, Izadi F. Return to play after an ankle sprain. Guidelines for the podiatric physician. Clin Pod Med Surg. 195-215, April 2015 32(2).
Izadi F, Richie D. Exertional Compartment Syndrome of the Medial Foot Compartment: Diagnosis and Treatment. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 104(4): 417-421, July 2014.